Tuesday, May 17, 2011

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL



As the days of Spring 2011 quarter have been flying by, I have been struggling to keep up with this blog. It has been a complete mystery to me why I could not just sit down and write my blogs entries, for I have always been a student to keep up with my work load. Even though I had already done hours of research, complied lists of young influencers in the fashion industry, and religiously wrote the words “BLOG POSTS!!!!!!!” in my daily planner, some strange force was holding me back from posting my entries.

This past weekend I experienced an epiphany. My good friend and I were discussing the radical shift we are currently experiencing through technology when I noticed I became very passionate about the subject. The Internet and overall technology has caused an increasing lack of human communication. Growing up in our generation, we were able to enjoy simple things like playing outside, illustrated cartoons (vs. 3D cartoons nowadays), and reading books rather than playing video games. Yet, the internet and the first generation of cell phones was introduced in our tween years, which allowed us to become technologically advanced. Yet, we can still remember the simpler times in our life, which in turn makes us more appreciative.

Although I very much appreciate the Internet and all it has to offer, I have realized how dependent my peers and I have become on it and how often it is abused. Not only do we rely on the web for simple tasks like spelling and directions, but also people have begun to turn themselves into something they are not. Through blogs and other social media tools, humans have begun to live in cyber space rather than in reality. ANYONE can be “cool”, take a good picture with a digital camera, or add 1,000,000 friends online, but only few have actual real life talent. This not only promotes a lack of thinking, but a lack of actually doing.

As we were assigned our term project, I was very excited to embark on my blog adventure for I had never really blogged before, besides looking at blogs every now and then. Yet, as I began to research for my topic of “young influencers” in the fashion industry, all I could come up with were these young girls who made a life for themselves on the internet. Where was all the inspiration? The art? The innovative ideas? I could not find them and I was therefore extremely uninspired and let down. I guess it was my subconscious holding me back from fulfilling my blog entries, for I have always believed in doing what is gratifying or inspiring to myself.

Overall, on the topic of contemporary issues in the fashion industry, I believe the Internet has become a major issue. Look back on the hundreds of social media websites that have been created? Is it really necessary? We as humans have become so unappreciative and impatient thanks to technology and in turn no innovative ideas are being produced, but rather people are just “reposting” everyone else’s ideas. Therefore, I plan on catching up my blog with the idea of fashion through the collaboration of art, materials, ideas, and an efficient use of the Internet and technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment